Thursday 9 May 2019

A Mystery of Leftovers...

In my seventeen years of life, I have been a keen observant of mannerisms. I see a lot of people and try to interpret their motives. I wouldn’t say that I judge them, nonetheless humans (unintentionally) endeavor to portray a definite image of themselves while interacting in the society. There is an aphorism that is quite popular presently; fake it till you make it.”

The mind can influence one’s body, similarly the body can affect the state of mind. A trivial smile can induce positive thoughts, a seven minute walk changes your mood inside-out.

The End Product

I was on a long break, cameo-ed by academics, procrastination and inactivity. “Experimenting with self” is a good way to not to call oneself lazy, isn't it? Now I’m right on track, until some other thing arises to bother my perception.

Frankly speaking, I was unable to motivate myself to cook; A Chef’s Block. (Another word to describe 'sloth' is 'block')


Anyway, I excavated some leftovers from the fridge, and ‘khat khat khat’! Made a bland sauce, boiled and fried some noodles and bam! There you go, A Chopsuey!


Crisp Noodle Cake

I have plenty of time now, I hope my readers have some too.

Anthropology of Food is an interesting dilemma. No one knows what to speak, but some random dude will connect some random dots backed by some stochastic stories and assumptions and there you have AN ORIGIN OF A DISH.

One guy who wears the above description, contemplates Chopsuey to be an abbreviation of ‘Chopped Sewage’. Seriously! I accept the fact that the dish is somewhat bland, contradicts the Chinese as it contains overcooked veggies, and can be found in almost every take-away menu. 

Regardless, I feel Chopsuey is a perfect example of a dish meta-morphed as per the social ambiance. It suits both Non-Asian and Oriental taste buds, without any disappointment.

Spare me some time to speak on my take on Chopsuey. This was my fourth time making it, it felt like I am a step closer to perfection. The main attraction of this dish would not be the sauce, because it's bland. The salient one is the crisp noodle cake, it is the cherry on top of the cake (pun intended), a new mouthfeel. It doesn't depletes the overall umami as well.

Thanks for reading...